There will be once in a lifetime lots up for grabs at the American Express Cape Wine Barrel auction.
The highly-anticipated Friday night precursor to the Cape Wine Auction is the chance for oenophiles and serious wine collectors to own truly one-of-a-kind wines while giving something back to the wine community.
Once again this year some of the Cape’s top winemakers have made their most exclusive and vintage wines available in never-before-offered selections guaranteed to excite any wine aficionado.
This year’s lots include a last vintage from Alheit Vineyards, DeToren’s highly acclaimed Fusion series, the Finlayson’s Crystallum Collection and Creation’s Art of Creation Pinot Noir & Chardonnay.
The event takes place on Friday, March 1, at the beautiful Norval Foundation.
Located in the Steenberg area of Cape Town, adjacent to Table Mountain National Park, the Norval Foundation is a centre for art and cultural expression dedicated to the research and exhibition of 20th and 21st century visual art from South Africa and beyond.
There are some truly exciting lots on offer including:
• From Alheit Vineyards, one magnum bottle each of Radio Lazarus 2017, the last vintage ever produced, Magnetic North 2017, Huilkrans 2017 and La Colline 2017, each in its own case. These have been lauded as the best vintages from this estate ever in South Africa.
• From Creation, three vintages of some of the most sought after, revered and long-lived expressions of the noble Burgundian grape varieties produced in Walker Bay – The Art of Creation Pinot Noir & Chardonnay 2015, 2016 and 2017.
• From Deetlefs Wine Estate, one of the rarest, most sought after and most exclusive wines ever produced in South Africa, a bottle of 1974 Philippus Petrus Deetlefs Muscat d’Alexandrie and two Deetlefs wooden boxes with the Familie White 2014 and 2017, Voyage 2016 and 2017 and the Reserve Chenin Blanc 2015 and 2017.
• From iconic producer De Toren Private Cellar, an incredibly rare overview in time with three bottles of the highly acclaimed Fusion V, the 1999 maiden vintage, 2008 and the 2016 current release as well as three bottles of the equally sought-after Fusion Z, the 2004 maiden vintage, 2010 and the 2016 current vintage.
• From Etienne Le Riche, arguably the most renowned Cabernet producer in the Cape, a vertical in 750ml Etienne le Riche Auction Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon from 2010 to 2015.
• From Hamilton Russell – the most pioneering Pinot Noir producer in the Cape, having never left the estate, carefully cellared and individually signed by the proprietors comes a rare look into the evolution of this iconic estate over the past decade showcased from 2005 to 2014.
For more information go to thecapewineauction.com